Hello Family!
Another cold South Dakota winter, so I’m trying to be
productive! Can’t lie…really
hate these long winters, but this one has been milder than usual and we are
expecting weather in the 40s next week, so the end is in sight. The real trick is getting my 57 year old
brain to remember what happened in 2015!
Bryan and I went to see Mom and Bob over Memorial Day. We had a great time, but the weather wasn't
great. May can be pretty unpredictable
everywhere so this year we are planning on a trip in July.
Mandy and I spent the summer barrel racing. It was such a fun summer and we are looking
forward to this coming summer. Mandy
picked up right where she left off years ago.
She hadn’t ridden much in the past 10 years,
but you wouldn’t know it! She won
some money and got the bug again. I did
well too considering this is my first year barrel racing. I have a lot to learn yet, but mainly I just
loved being out there. It kept us both
busy riding during the week, getting the horses in shape. Honestly I’m a “little”
proud of our efforts. It wasn’t
easy hauling two horses, and twin 3 year olds to the arena to practice. We shared a lot of laughs and our fair share
of frustration trying to get the whole thing going. We’d set up a corner of the arena with
toys, bug juice and snacks, and then each of us would take our turn trying to
run the pattern. Early in the season my
biggest challenge was not hitting the barrel and even ended up in the emergency
room with full front on hit to the shin.
We are both looking forward to the coming year and already have several
races in our plans. We have a new little
welsh mare that Sawyer and Sophia can learn on this summer.
Mom and Pam came for a visit in June. We had the best time. It just went too fast! I wish we didn’t all live so far
apart. We spent the time cooking and
eating, visiting and playing with Sawyer and Sophia. So fun…
Bryan is still doing real-estate appraisal. He works mostly on farm and commercial
appraisals. He made a trip to Idaho to
pick up a new mare. He and his daughter,
Kresha stayed with Uncle Gerald and Aunt Tena overnight. They both really enjoyed getting to meet them
and so appreciated all of the hospitality.
It was a long trip, but they enjoyed getting to spend some time
together. The mare we purchased is a
Judge Cash mare. We bred her to our
stallion and are expecting a special baby out of her this spring. We will have 3 new babies this coming spring. We had 3 really nice babies in 2015. My mare
had a BEAUTIFUL buckskin stud colt. I’m
pretty sure he is NOT for sale. He has
such a great temperament and he’s so nice to look at. I’m really blessed to get to do what I
love, which is horses…combined with family. Its fun and we both really enjoy it. I’ve learned a lot from Bryan. He is a pedigree guy and knows all the old
foundation bloodlines. He also loves
hunting. He and his son went to Northern
Minnesota bear hunting in September. I
don’t claim to understand the whole bear hunting thing, but we
each have our things we like to do.
Right now he is in the Black Hills buffalo hunting. The state allows very few tags to cull the
herd. He was really lucky to get a tag
and I like buffalo meat so there will be a full freezer, which is great. We
also have lots of pheasants and deer hunting on our farm. We have hunters that come for pheasant
hunting during the season.
I’m still working at the TV station
selling advertising. I like my job, and
love my clients. I’m
still driving back and forth, which can be a challenge. It’s okay…it helps me
afford my horse addition.
I could write pages about Sawyer and Sophia, but I will leave
that to Mandy. I will just say that I
love being a grandma. Who knew it would
be so much fun. I see them as much as
possible. I just babysat for them this
past weekend and the only downside is realizing that I am not as young as I
used to be. We played soccer, football,
colored, painted toenails, played more football, hide and seek, dodge ball…I
was one tired grandma and came home and went to bed!
Special Memory: I have so
many special memories of summers spent on the farm with Grandma, Grandpa, and
the Uncles. (The aunties were both out on their own by then) One memory comes to mind today as we face this
very important upcoming election season.
I vividly remember morning prayers, where the family would all gather
around the table on their knees. I can
remember several uncles and Grandma praying, but the one that is clearest in my
mind is Grandpa. I can remember him
praying for the leaders of our country.
I never knew if Grandpa was democrat or republican because I’m
sure at the time I didn’t know the difference…but
I very clearly remember Grandpa praying for the president and the leaders of
our country. This time of family prayer
left a lasting legacy for me. I think
about the struggles I have had in my life and yet that firm foundation of
prayer left a legacy of faith that I cling to today. I also believe that our country is at a very
vulnerable time. I believe this is one
of the most important elections of my life time. I would love to sit down and visit with
Grandpa right now and hear his “take” of this whole crazy thing. But one thing is for sure. God is in control. He listens to our prayers and we can rest
knowing that he knows the answers.
I am really looking forward to reading each of your
letters.
Love,
Kim and Bryan


No comments:
Post a Comment