Nadean 2015


Dear Family,

I'm going to start my letter with memories I have of the old house. Memories of the old house started I guess, with the day we got water piped into the house, also, the day I pulled a string hooked on to a light bulb from the ceiling and there was light. Our house was a three roomed log house, with a kitchen, front room and bedroom and was built by my Grandpa Humpherys. Dad and mom rented the farm from grandpa when they first married and bought it several years later.

In the kitchen we had a sink on the north east wall that is still in the utility room in the new red brick house. On the north west side of the house was the door that we entered the house.  I think the kitchen was the room I took the most pride in, especially after the kitchen floor was newly mopped and waxed. The linoleum had a cream colored background, with many black and red squares all over.  This linoleum was called inlaid linoleum, it covered the entire surface of the floor and was solidly glued down.  Many  years ago I peeked between the boards that serve now as a door. That linoleum is still there.  I'd like to get in there and see if I could mop and wax it and see what kind of a "shine" I could get.  Ha Ha!

We had a cupboard in the south corner of the kitchen.  It had glass doors and you could see the dishes neatly arranged on the three or four shelve  There were two shelves at the bottom of the cupboard  with doors with no glass.  The pots and pans were kept there.   On the south wall across from the cupboard was the door into the front room.  The floor covering in this room was a type of linoleum that was like a great big rug that was just laid down on the floor.  It did not cover the entire surface, but had about a two foot wood border around the whole rug.  It was pink with bunches of flowers scattered all over.  This was a much less expensive type of linoleum.  The bedroom linoleum was the same, only blue. I think the front room and bedroom linoleum was there  in Grandpa and Grandmas day.

In the front room was what we called a studio couch on the east wall. On the south wall was the piano that Grandpa Clark gave our mother.  I was about eight years old when we got the piano.  Also in the front room was a bookcase and a wood rocking chair.  Right inside the door that you entered from the kitchen was a stove.  We had several types  of stoves during the 14 years I lived in that house.  One was a large morning glory metal stove that used wood to produce the heat. We took turns sitting on the top of it in the morning to get really warm. If it wasn’t your turn to be on top you gathered at the bottom on the floor and got pretty warm.  Once, dad bought an oil stove that got burning red hot immediately.  Dad lived in dreaded fear of it catching the house on fire.  We didn’t have it very long, but it sure did heat up the front room. To be nice and toasty warm, you needed a stove in both kitchen and front room.

In the bedroom were two double beds and a crib in the corner. There was also a vanity dresser with a mirror and a chest of drawers.  Eather Baker built a big white wardrobe to go in the east north corner.  This was a real nice addition to this room.  Before this, we hung our clothes in one corner on nails.  The new closet had two sides, one for adults clothes and one for kid clothes. The last time I looked, It was still in the house.

When company came, we brought in an old army cot and put it up in the front room. The two, I remember most was, a Mr. Hawkins, a scout master of Dads when he lived in Logan. He was a traveling salesman.  He always left us some nice item, when he left from his selection of wares.  Another visitor was Lony Baker, a  guy who used to rent the house when Dads family lived in Logan.  He made me play chinese checkers with him.  I didn't like to play with someone so old.  Besides, he always beat me.  What can you expect from a youngster with no experience.

There were windows on the east side in both living room and bedroom.  Mother always had pretty curtains at those windows.  She had flowers, usually red geraniums growing in the front room windows.  Outside, there were lots of trees and a big pretty green lawn.  In the front was a row of quaking asp trees for shade and a place where Sharon and I could play with our dolls. We also, spent a lot of time climbing those trees.
I very much enjoyed living in that house.  When we  moved into the new house, the bathroom was the thing I loved most, and of course the extra space.   I always felt bad that we didn’t keep the old house a home.  It would have been a fun guest house.

I am still living in St. George. After, much thought and remorse, I sold my house in Wyoming. The Elders Quroum loaded up the u haul on about Aug. 18, and my friends Jack and Julie Buckley drove me and the U  Haul to Salt Lake City, Blair took over the truck and Logan drove me.  The two of them got me to St. George  safely. The only hitch was that the boys Blair had arranged to have him unload, cancelled out on him.  He unloaded that U haul by himself.  Many thanks to him, for that.  Logan and I came a little later and Logan got me and all the rest of my belongings in the trailer. He took the shuttle back.

I'm glad, I'm still sane and sober.  Three moves in such a short time about did me in.  Thanks to my wonderful family and friends I made it. About a month later I found with Carols help and prodding I bought a two bedroom house in a 55 plus community. I love it.  It is newly updated and is in a very nice neighborhood. I miss my Temple View friends but having a nice new house is worth it.

I've had lots of company already.  (Gerald and Tena, my cousin Clair and Bonnie)  Logan and Chase came for a week end of golf. Then Logan and Katie and their spouses came for a weekend of fun just a few weeks ago. This gang came earlier and moved me from the trailer to the new house.  The last over nighters were Marcela, Neva and my friend Julie Buckley.  They weren't taking Cruise to Yuma to catch the train.

My grandkids, Logan, Annie, Katie and Ty came down and helped me move from the trailer to the new house. We had fun and oh, how I appreciate those four! My last endeavor was to get the front, teeny yard and inviting porch ready for summer. Carol and Blair planted flowers in front and in pots and then brought home the new "porch furniture" I got at Albertsons. What a busy Saturday.  Many thanks to Blair and Carol!!!!


At Thanksgiving  time, Jase and I were out on the front porch putting up Christmas lights at midnight.  We were so late, because we had so much visiting to do before we get started. At this writing, Josh and Esther are here helping me get this letter off to Curt, and helping with other things around the house. Last night we all went out to dinner.

Hope to see you all at the reunion in Pocatello in July!

Lots of Love,

Nadean


No comments: