Shawn & Hilary 2010

Another year, another newsletter, another argument about who is going to write it… I lost…again
Shawn keeps busy patrolling the streets and waterways of Bingham County. He was very fortunate this year to get a new patrol truck. He wasn’t even sad about losing his Crown Victoria, go figure!
He enjoys his job and loves being able to be paid to be out on the river in the summer (and the occasional winter call out to pull hunters off the river). In June, Shawn had surgery on his pinky finger on his right hand which happens to be his fully functional hand. He had injured it several times while at work (ask him he’ll tell you all the fun he had hurting it). It was an adventure for us all as his entire hand was bandaged for a few weeks and made it difficult for him to do much of anything. In true Shawn fashion though, he didn’t stay down for long and was back to making mischief in no time. Unfortunately, the surgery did not do what it was supposed to and he is unable to bend his finger which he finds very annoying. He will probably have to have it fused within the next few years. Shawn is still doing the occasional curbing job in the warm weather and spends as much time as possible hunting whatever is in season and fishing when he can. We were able to make several camping trips during the warm months which was fun for all.

I finished the LPN program in May and have been working as a nurse since that time. I started my first job the Monday after graduation. I just work PRN which is an “as needed” position. I am not guaranteed any hours but have to work at least one shift a month to maintain my position. I actually have 3 jobs right now that I can pick up shifts from. I work at Portneuf Medical Center in the medical practice division and float between about 6 offices depending on which one needs help. I also pick up shifts at the Blackfoot Medical Clinic in the urgent care and the different doctor’s offices AND I still pick up an occasional shift at the Sheriff’s Office in dispatch when they need help. I really like my jobs. I have not been wanting for work, as there always seems to be someone who needs help. I can also pick my schedule and be home when the kids are. I will start school again in August in the RN program. It is a part-time, 3 semester program. I hadn’t planned on going back to school this soon but was so fortunate to receive a scholarship from the Albertson’s Foundation that will pay for my tuition, books, boards and anything required through the remainder of the program. I couldn’t turn a blessing like that down so I’ll be back at it. I have really enjoyed being home more with the kids and feel so fortunate for the opportunities that I have had in furthering my education.

Hayden is 9 years old and in the 3rd grade. He played basketball this year with his Dad as the coach and just started baseball. He had a bit of a scare at the end of January when he was trampled by a horse. He got hung up when the horse bucked and got kicked around. It was very scary for especially for Shawn and Gerald, I luckily was not there. Shawn called me on the way to the doctor and I met them at the medical clinic. All things considered, he lucked out. He received about 12 stitches above his left eye, a broken left arm and several bumps and bruises on the rest of his body.

It was another reminder to us that life is so fragile and so precious. We are very thankful that he was not hurt more than he was and that he is still around to tell the tale. Shawn and Gerald were both traumatized. I'm thankful for good doctors and nurses that took care of him and got him through a very scary experience. Hayden got his first .22 for Christmas- I know, I know and enjoys going out and shooting targets with his father who got it for him.

Hadley will be 7 in May. She is in the first grade this year and is top-notch student. She just finished her first chapter book. She received several awards at the last school assembly including being nominated for the principal's award. Hadley also played basketball this year, Shawn coached her team as well- he probably won’t do that again. Her cousin’s Jake and Megan were also on the team and it was fun to watch them play. Hadley has also been taking a cheerleader class this year in an after school program. She loves it much to her dad’s dismay. They have just a few performances and will be in a competition at Lagoon in May which she can’t stop talking about. It is fun to watch her little personality come out when she is around the other little girls on her “squad”. Hadley is such a great little helper. She helps so much in taking care of her little brother and sister, especially when I have to be gone. She is a Humpherys and has height on her side, we hope that stays with her the older she gets.

In February, Hayden and Hadley had a scary adventure on the bus ride home from school. Their bus driver had a massive heart attack while driving the bus, crashed into a power pole and died. It was a very scary experience for them and they had a lot of questions and feelings to express. Shawn happened to be on duty and was one of the first officers on scene. Luckily, none of the children on the bus were injured.

Hallie will be 4 in April. She is a hoot! Hallie makes sure that we all stay in line and do what we are supposed to do. Hallie loves to dance and sing. She is constantly making up her own songs for us to listen to. Hallie is the child that starts yelling for you like there is something wrong and when you run into the room to find out what she needs all she has to say is that she loves you. She started preschool this year and loved every minute of it. Hallie loves the color purple and tries to wear it every day. She was Rapunzel for Halloween and has been infatuated with her since. When we finally saw Tangled in November it just made her love it even more.


Hunter turned 1 in January. It is amazing that he has been with us an entire year. I can't imagine our little family without him. He is absolutely my angel. Shawn says he is a brat and that is probably true but he makes my heart sing. I look at that little boy and I know the world is better because he is here. He is a tease already and loves to make us laugh. His older brother and sisters adore him.

We are so thankful to be a part of such an amazing family and had so much fun at the reunion this past year. Thanks to Nadean, Jimmy and Carol for the preparation and execution of it all. We had a blast! Can’t wait to see everyone this year!
Love,
Shawn, Hilary, Hayden, Hadley, Hallie and Hunter

No comments: