Greetings from Ketchikan Alaska,
Things are going well. We (mostly me) can't wait to get out on the boat and start hunting and fishing and sightseeing. I'm a little anxious to go black bear hunting for the first time ever, but I have a top notch guide so it should be good. I went on a hunt last year, but just as a tourist, this year will be a little more nerve racking for me.
We got a pot puller this year so look out all you giant spotted prawns, the dinner bell is ringing! It's wonderful to have so much fresh sea food only a few miles away and it's rediculously fun harvesting it! I will have fresh salmon, halibut, crab, giant spotted prawns (giant shrimp, is that called an oxymoron?), fresh black bear, and deer again hopefully in our freezer before the year is over. (Yes, grass fed black bear meat is good if you know how to take care of the meat properly, probably like any meat).
We've started our garden, inside, but I'm worried that as soon as we put stuff in the ground here at the house, we'll be baiting the bears and deer to come feast on our veggies. It's a toss up.... Do I shoot? It's going to be tricky with a gun in one hand and a camera in the other. Too many funny visuals come to mind..... Now that I think about it, I'll bet I have more problems with keeping the gross yucky slugs from eating up our garden!!!! Oh how gross, I hate those creepers! Well this summer should be interesting.
We love our jobs. Brent currently is working on his second retirement and has a very good job as the Facilities and Maintenance Manager at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) base here in Ketchikan. He's already retired from the Coast Guard and before that was in the Army for 4 years. He's a very talented man. He wears many hats. He was in the scouting program in our ward until a few months ago for about 4 1/2 years. 3 of those years he was the Scout Master. We are currently teachers in primary together and love having a calling together. He also has an FFL and owns his own business, Special Order Store, which is for buying guns and ammo and anything along those lines. Plus he moonlights on the weekends working with me at the Coast Guard base at the Exchange helping them with the sporting goods end of things. PLUS, and this is one of my favorite job (hobbie) that he does, being my personal Chef!!!!!!! I'm so blessed!!!!
Well I better get this sent to Ryan, bless his heart for doing this years newsletter, and getting engaged (congrats) and I hope all is well with all the family everywhere!
XOXOXOXOX Love Sherrie and Brent
No comments:
Post a Comment