Kim & Bryan 2014

Bryan and Kim

Hello family!  
It’s a cold and windy day here in South Dakota, February 22, and it’s past time to get the Family news letter on it’s way.  I’m thinking that as I get older it might be a good idea for me to make some notes of what actually DID happen in the past year, so I can remember to include them. 
I’ll start with Bryan.  First off I have to say what a great husband I have been blessed with.  Bryan is a great cook…he thinks he should have his own cooking show called “In the Kitchen with Bry”  He honestly does most of the cooking during the week and has dinner for his hungry wife when she gets home.  The only down side is I’m getting a little wide in the hips with all the great meals.  We did have a scare this year when he was diagnosed with prostate cancer.  He had surgery in July to remove it and has been doing fine since, although we need to watch it closely for the next few years.  He has tests every 3 months to make sure we have no cancer showing back up.  He was feeling good enough to shoot a bull elk in the Black Hills with his buddy and dear friend Paulie in October.  Over all is was a good year with good crops, excellent pheasant hunting, and good deer hunting as well.  Bryan’s daughter Kresha and her husband Ben, each harvested a deer with in 10 minutes of each other, all on our farm.  Hunting makes Bryan happy and a Happy Kraut is worth having around.   Of course our shared passion is the horses,  which keeps us horse poor, but happy! 
I am still working for the TV station in Sioux Falls.  I had my best year there financially, but with that comes more than my fair share of stress.  Time will tell how long I continue.  It takes years to develop a client list and it’s hard for me to hand that over to someone else.  I also worry that I’m a little old to learn an entirely new gig, so I continue on, and probably complain a little more than I should, and pray a lot!
 We bought a barrel mare last year with the idea of getting more serious about going to some of the local races and hopefully promote some of our younger horses.  On Mother’s Day just as I was getting the hang of it, she bucked me off between the 2nd and 3rd barrel.  I didn’t break anything, but I was one sore old lady for several months.  Along with hurting my pride, my ribs and back were pretty sore for awhile.  I still like the mare and haven’t completely given up on her, but we’re thinking seriously about breeding her this Spring so time will tell on that.  I’m still looking for a good safe mount that Mandy and I can both ride until some of these younger horses that we have get old enough that we can go on with.  We are expecting 4 colts this Spring., and that helps me get thru these South Dakota winters.  Our first one is due in March so that’s just around the corner.
One of the great joys of my life are Sawyer and Sophia.  Mandy and Chris are doing such a wonderful job raising them.  I am proud of them for making a tough financial decision for Mandy to stay home with them.  I have never seen a harder worker than Chris and I know the sacrifice that they have all made to keep Mandy home.  I can say with all confidence that it has been worth it. 
Sawyer is a gregarious little guy, who is kind and sensitive and rough and tough all at the same time.  He loves to dress up as a cowboy somedays, and Spiderman on others.  He has such a great imagination and will tell you with great detail about which horse most recently bucked him off!  Sophia is all girl!  She loves to sing and play and be mischievous.  Her big brown eyes will steal your heart. 
Mom and Pam came for a visit in June.  Bryan made sure we had the new deck done in time for us to enjoy.  The time went by so fast and we only got half of what we wanted to do done, but it was so fun for me to have them here.  I can not wait until the next time.  One night that was especially fun was Mexican night.  We were celebrating Pam’s birthday.  I made my shredded beef enchiladas and Pam made her chicken burritos and we had one heck of a celebration!
Bryan and I are planning a trip see Mom and Bob over memorial day.  Bryan loves to fish with Bob and I love to just spend time with Mom, so we are both anxious for May to get here.
I am anxious to read all of your letters and see what your families are up to. 
Love to all!  Kim and Bryan
Kim, Bryan, Sawyer and Sophia Christmas 2014

                                           
pheasant hunting on the Maas farm
Chris, Mandy, Sawyer and Sophia Rodeo in South Dakota





Grulla filly born on the 37 Ranch May 2014

No comments: