Michelle, Ben, and Brayden 2008

Hello everyone,

First of all thanks MaryLynn for doing the newsletter this year we really appreciate it.

Well 2008 definitely has been interesting. We have been in Xiangtan, China for the past 6 months teaching English at a university. It has been quite the experience that’s for sure. It’s had its ups and downs but it’s been so nice to spend this much time with Ben and Brayden, I don’t know if we’ll ever be able to spend this much time together ever again. Ben and I taught about 2 classes a day so we had a lot of free time on our hands. We really got into watching some TV series to fill up some time. We’ve been watching Prison Break, Lost and 24. They’re all pretty good but pretty addicting, so watch out if you start them it’s hard not to finish them quickly.

I only wanted to stay here for 4 months (one semester) but Ben wants to stay for 2 semesters so we compromised more or less on just staying for the Chinese New Year at the beginning of February. It’s been a lot of fun teaching our wonderful students. Everyone is so accommodating and so kind. The food here has been another story though. They eat every part of an animal and I mean every part. Walking through their grocery stores or farmer’s markets is definitely an eye opener.


Brayden is getting so big and so much fun. He is so social with other kids, almost a little too social at times because he ends up shouting at them, pushing them, poking them and laughing. We secretly think it’s kind of funny but we do put a stop to it don’t worry. He’s so close to walking on his own which I think is exciting because I can’t wait until he can become more independent.






When we get back from China we are going to stay at Mom and Dad’s in South Jordan for a little while until we find jobs and get on our feet. I can’t wait to get back to carpet, shower curtains, drinking out of the tap, a variety of foods, dependable hot water, soft beds, good lighting, not having to hear people hawking a logy all the time and nonstop smoke. Everywhere we go someone is smoking and our clothes always smell of smoke it’s so annoying. All I have to say is I feel so blessed to live in America with modern technology. I really did love my China experience and would do it again but their culture is just so different than ours.






We love you all so much!!!
Ben, Michelle and Brayden

No comments: