C.J. & Laurie 2009

(CJ) have been tasked with writing the letter for our family this year. They didn't teach me typing in High School or at BYU, so if our letter seems a little short, it actually took me a long time to write it. We are so excited for the family reunion this year! Since we missed last year's reunion it seems like forever since we've seen all of you. We can't wait to go camping for a couple days and enjoy the beautiful Wyoming outdoors with all our Uncles, Aunts, and cousins! The kids can't stop talking about all the fun things they are going to do while playing with their cousins. I get to show Jimmy how to fish, Shawn how to arm wrestle and eat pies, and Shane how to play basketball. (Just kidding, you know you guys are the best at all those things). Anyways, here is what has been going on with our family the past year:

CJ- I am still working with the U.S. Border Patrol in Naco, Arizona. My position now is a Field Training Officer. it is pretty fun as well as challenging to teach the new recruits at the station, but I already miss working things by myself without having to be in charge of somebody. My goal is to retire as the oldest non-supervisory agent in the entire border Patrol. I just can't trade the freedom of hiking in the mountains and the desert, tracking aliens and drug smugglers, for a job in the office supervising and completing paperwork. Some of you may have seen the new show on national Geographic channel called "Border Wars". Its a pretty good depiction of what I do on a daily basis down in Arizona. Two of my favorite things to do right now is the weekly basketball night we have at the church. Most of the people that play are Border Patrol agents, and it gets pretty physical and competitive. I'm also on a station flag football tournament. We travel to different cities and play in various law enforcement flag football tournaments. I would love to go fishing more, but there is a serious lack of places to fish here in Southern Arizona. When I'm not at work, I love being with my kids Mercy, Porter, and Jameson. They are growing up so fast. Last year we were able to go to Southern California and take them to Seaworld, Disneyland, and some of the famous California beaches. They had so much fun with their Grandma and Grandpa, Camille, Trevor, and Damien. Later this year, Laurie and I are planning a trip to Canada for a couple of weeks. Laurie and I will have been married for eight years now in August, and I have still never visited Toronto, Canada where Laurie was raised. I am actually more excited than I thought I would be. I just made Laurie promise we would go before it got too cold up there. Well, now on to the more interesting people in our family.

Laurie-Still staying at home with the kids, still teaching in Relief Society but finally got released from the Emergency Preparedness committee. I, CJ, am still on it though. I guess they liked the 72 hour kit I put together for the last fair we had. Laurie and some of her friends started a joy school co-op this year for Porter and some of his same-aged friends, so every 6 weeks she gets to teach that twice in a week, and the other weeks she gets a two hour break with only one kid to watch while Porter is at joy school twice a week. She also helps out with Mercy's Daisy Troop especially with all the cookies we've had to sell. Anyone still need some, we have them... just sayin'. She still loves taking photos of the kids and blogging, as well as reading everyone else's blogs. Last year she got to go see Wicked with her mother and is hoping to get to see more musicals this year too. We've really come to love our ward and have made some great, lifelong friends here. It's one benefit to living in a place where most people are transplants as well and are far from family; you form bonds and learn to rely on them in ways you usually would with family.

Mercy-She's 5 and in Kindergarten now. WOW. She absolutely loves it, even though in our first parent-teacher interview her teacher asked us if Mercy liked school, because she was so quiet and shy. But now, to quote Ms. Wolfe, "Mercy has really blossomed", and has no problem talking your ear off if you let her. She's in ballet as well as really enjoys it. Her teacher is strict and no nonsense, and works wonders on a bunch of overactive 4-6 year olds. Mercy got to be in The Nutcracker at Christmas as well, it was really neat to watch. She also joined The Daisy Scouts, which is the youngest category of Girl Scouts. She's having a blast with it and all her little friends. I really think her having to go door to door to sell cookies has given her more confidence too, she can give the spiel like a pro.

Porter-He's 4 years old and such a cool kid. He's in joy school twice a week and while he enjoys it, he'd still rather play with Transformers. He still likes Thomas the Train and Cars, but Transformers has taken over as his number one choice of toy. He now shares a room with Jameson and they seem to enjoy it, I can hear them playing and giggling together in the morning before I get them for breakfast. He's getting very independant and the whiney stage can sure hit hard sometimes, but he's just so cute and laughing the majority of the time, it's easy to forgive him. He's excited to start soccer in August with his friends, and he'll do preschool or joy school again as well since he misses the Kindergarten cutoff for 2010.

Jameson-He's 2 years old and a spitfire. He graduated from his physical therapy last year, and started speech therapy in November. He's already met all his goals for speech though, he's really taking off in talking! He's a really happy kid, finds everything hilarious, especially himself. Loves listening to Raffi and his favorite song is "Baby Beluga". If he really likes you he'll even sing it for you. Jameson loves to watch football with his dad. He grabs my head and bonks me on the head with his head while he says "football bonk". I think he sees the football players on TV hitting helmets and tries to copy them. His favorite toy is a Nemo fish, and loves to eat anything we give him, especially Nemo fruit snacks.

Anyways, we love you all and can't wait to see everyone in a couple months.
Love, CJ, Laurie, Mercy, Porter, and Jameson

No comments: